Tuesday 5 October 2010

Honest Words Honest Worship


Jeremiah 4:19-6:15

Colossians 1:18-2:7

Psalm 77:1-20

Proverbs 24:23-25

The Book of Psalms was the worship book of the Jewish Temple, a kind of Hymns Ancient and Modern from 400BC. It contains poems and songs that stretch over a period of about a thousand years. It was also the hymnbook of the early church who used it along with some other "hymns and spiritual songs" quoted by Paul and other authors such as the songs in Philipians chapter 2 (a song about Jesus) and 1 Corinthians 12 (a song about love).

They are so popular that even now, some 3500 years since the first one was written there are.some churches that sing only psalms in their worship services.

I think one of the reasons for their popularity is their honesty. I really couldn't see a modern hymn writer composing lines like this...

 4 You don’t let me sleep.

      I am too distressed even to pray!

 5 I think of the good old days,

      long since ended,

 6 when my nights were filled with joyful songs.

      I search my soul and ponder the difference now.

 7 Has the Lord rejected me forever?

      Will he never again be kind to me?

 8 Is his unfailing love gone forever?

      Have his promises permanently failed?

 9 Has God forgotten to be gracious?

      Has he slammed the door on his compassion?

Can you honestly imagine singing that in church?

But it would be great if we did. If our songs were more honest and not the jingoistic anthems that we often have to deal with on a Sunday then it might help us all be more open about our faith and doubts. 

OK, so where are the poets and musicians to take the words of Psalm 77 and all the other shockingly honest songs in the Book of Psalms and set them to some catchy modern music?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is a lady in my bible study who is awesome at turning bible passages into songs. She came up with a great tune quickly for 'for the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart' I wrote that straight from the memory of the song playing in my head, no looking it up.

I thought about the scottish song 'ye banks and braes' as I read the words.

modern worship songs miss too many aspects of God and our lives in God. There are a few modern songs take bits from the bible but it seems to be getting less and less common to do that :-(