Thursday 14 October 2010

Subliminal Psalms

Jeremiah 23:21-25:38

2 Thessalonians 2:1-17

Psalm 84:1-12

Proverbs 25:15

Some parts of the Bible seem to have made their way into our consciousness in much the same way that a catchy pop song ends up going round and round in your head. Psalm 84 is just one of those passages. It's a part of our cultural background music in the church.

I can't remember hearing (or preaching) a sermon on it, I don't think I've discussed it in a small group but still I know it well, I've sung countless songs based on it and if you asked me to list some psalms it would certainly be in the top ten.

Maybe it's the Disney-esque imagery of the birds finding a home in God's house or the reassuring words about those who make their pilgrimage in tears arriving with joy or maybe even the affirmation that it's better to be on the fringes of the Kingdom of God than to be the ruler of an earthly kingdom and not know him.

Either way it is a favourite. I'll finish with a link to a particularly good version of it. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIq1j59R6tI

No comments: