Tuesday 16 November 2010

The scary job of leadership


Ezekiel 33:1-34:31

Hebrews 13:1-25

Psalm 115:1-18

Proverbs 27:21-22

It's one of those days when the one year Bible joins up. Ezekiel has been talking about getting rid of Israel's bad shepherds and providing the people with a new Good Shepherd while Hebrews talks about Jesus the Good Shepherd of God's flock.

This passage in Ezekiel however haunts me every time I read it.  A well meaning elder once showed me Ezekiel 33 and told me that this was how God judged Christian leaders.  I think he was trying to reassure me about the place of human freedom in God's plan of predestination but what he actually did was spook me hugely about the responsibility I would have as a minister to speak the direct truth to people about God's judgement and God's grace.

The duty of being a watchman for any size of community is a huge responsibility and not one I particularly enjoy. I love to open up God's word, to proclaim God's grace and to speak of all that Jesus accomplished for us on the cross. I don't like the bit about warning and rebuking people.

But then I ask myself another question, "What if I did enjoy it?" What sort of person would that make me?

1 comment:

alex said...

hi William, I didn't realise the job with this blog, and reading each time i could i enjoy the way and now i go on the Bible with you. I was waiting for the traditional thursday's night and here it comes, here it is or maybe here He is like you, thanks and happy to send you this comment. I pray, specially to night for a grand child with his granny and daddy.